When retained by an Owner to perform Preconstruction Services, we assist in the design by calling upon our 100 plus years of construction knowledge. Our goal as a member of the preconstruction team is to add value to the process, the team, and ultimately the success of the project. We are there to assist and guide the team effort in making smart decisions on the selections of materials, equipment, and systems to ensure that the project meets the aesthetic, functional, quality, and operational goals as well as the critically important budgetary goals of the Owner.
The Richard White Sons’ preconstruction phase services team typically consists of a firm Owner/Principal, Chief Estimator, Estimator, and Project Manager for the duration of the preconstruction phase services. We will also include the expertise of our Superintendent, BIM (Building Information Modeling) Manager and Safety Director to assist with the pre-project planning of site-related safety issues, site logistical planning, building systems clash detection and constructability reviews.
Each project is unique, and each client has differing goals; we customize our menu of work activities to reflect the specific needs of each project. Some of our typical preconstruction activities include:
- Pre-purchase due diligence investigative inspections / reports
- Initial site and property assessment for potential issues with local zoning codes and building impacts
- Conceptual construction cost budgeting and estimating
- Establishment of a Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP)
- Constructability Review and Assessment
- Establish Owner’s project Timeline / Schedules
- Master Planning
- Site Planning
- Complete pre-project logistical and safety planning
- Detailed construction CPM schedules
- Building life-cycle cost projections and maintenance schedules
- Detailed cash flow projections reflecting anticipated project financing, design costs, construction costs, building maintenance, etc.
- Sustainable Design / LEED – Benefits vs. costs analysis
- Hazardous Material Reports
- Building Code Compliance
- Value Engineering
- Virtual Construction
- Clash Detection
The philosophy of Construction Management at Richard White Sons is to establish a framework to achieve optimum success through our early involvement with a project. We identify and implement the best possible management techniques, tools and controls while evaluating prudent options and alternatives. Each recommendation and subsequent decision is made within the context of a collaborative team approach.
When engaged as a Construction Manager, we become an agent for the Owner. Every recommendation we make regarding products, methods, systems, costs and schedules will be aimed at providing the greatest opportunity to get the most value for our client’s money. Uppermost in our minds are the Owners best interests – delivering a product of the highest quality – while saving time and money.